Rudolph P. Dassow is one of the manufacturers of cheese in the great dairy state of Wisconsin. He owns and operates his own factory, which is located in Sheboygan Falls. He is descended from one of the oldest, best known and most highly respected families in Sheboygan county and is the eldest in his father's family of six children.
His paternal grandparents, natives of Mecklenburg, Germany, emigrated to America in 1852, coming direct from New York to Sheboygan by way of the Great Lakes. A temporary lodging was secured by Mr. Dassow in the home of John Bitter, where the family remained but two short weeks, during which time Mr. Dassow had purchased a farm of forty acres eight miles from Sheboygan. On this land he constructed a log house in which he lived for many years.
Dassow in the home of John Bitter, where the family remained but two short weeks, during which time Mr. Dassow had purchased a farm of forty acres eight miles from Sheboygan. On this land he constructed a log house in which he lived for many years.
Joachim H. Dassow, the father of Rudolph P. Dassow, was born in Germany and with his parents emigrated to America in 1852. He continued to reside at his father's home until twenty-six years of age. Then starting in life for himself, he purchased a farm in this county which he improved and on which he resided for two years. On the 2nd of October, 1871, he was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta Markwardt. In 1874, at the earnest solicitation of his father, he removed from his farm to the old homestead.
The original tract of forty acres first purchased by his father on reaching the state of Wisconsin had now grown to a farm of one hundred and eighty acres. The long years intervening between 1852 and 1874 had been filled with intelligent toil in the development of one of the finest farms in the county of Sheboygan. It was on this farm that Joachim H. Dassow was invited by his father to make his permanent home. He applied himself to the care and further development of this property and in connection therewith owned and operated a cheese factory which later became the property of his son Rudolph. Mr. Dassow remained on the old homestead during the balance of his life, his demise occurring in 1904. His widow, who survives him, is now living with her daughter, Mrs. Harry Habighorst, on a farm located on the Green Bay road. She also owns a house and a lot in Sheboygan Falls.
Rudolph P. Dassow was educated in the district schools in Sheboygan Falls. Later he took a course in dairying in the University of Wisconsin at Madison. After completing his studies in that institution he was employed in his father's cheese factory at Sheboygan Falls township, in which occupation he continued until 1899. In that year he purchased the factory, which he has greatly improved and still owns and operates.
As a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Mr. Dassow chose Miss Emma Boll, whose parents were both natives of Germany. To this union have been born four children: Myrtha, Edgar, Erma and Ellen, all residing at home. Mr. Dassow is a member of several social organizations of Sheboygan Falls. Our subject was one of the first directors of the State Bank of Sheboygan Falls and still serves in that capacity. His social influence is contributory to all that is best and elevating in society and his business standing and rating carry with them the high measure of integrity to which his strictly honorable business methods entitle him.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL