William C. Damrow is among the most successful and enterprising farmers of Sheboygan Falls township, where he is located on a fine farm two miles north of the city of Sheboygan Falls. He was born in Sheboygan county, April 7, 1868, and is the son of Gottfried and Mary (Logemann) Damrow; both of whom were natives of Germany. The grandparents emigrated to America in 1853 and settled on a farm in Sheboygan Falls township, where they continued to live during the remaining years of their lives, the grandfather dying at the age of fifty-five and the grandmother at eighty-two. Both grandparents were buried in Mohler cemetery, Sheboygan county.
Gottfried Damrow, the father of the subject of this review, was born in Germany, January 6, 1838, and emigrated with his parents to America when a lad in 1853. He was reared in his parents' home and received his education in Germany. On his arrival in the new world he settled with his father in Sheboygan county and was there engaged in farm work until he was twenty-four years of age. At that time he purchased forty-five acres of land located on section 14, Sheboygan Falls township, and later added to his original purchase forty acres located on section 24. Upon that property he established his home and continued to be engaged in general farming until 1902, at which time he sold his farm to William C., the subject of this review, and retired from the business. He later devoted his time to the insurance business only, a business which he had followed as a side line previously, having had the agency for the town of Herman for the Mutual Fire Insurance Company for twenty-seven years. In 1911 he retired permanently from business life. He has been active and useful in township affairs serving two terms as township treasurer and five years as supervisor.
On the 5th of July, 1861, he was united in marriage to Miss Logemann, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dietrich Logemann, the former a native of Prussia, Germany, and the latter of Hanover, Germany. The father emigrated with his parents to the United States in 1843 and the mother in 1842, when she was an infant in arms. During the active business years of the father's life he was engaged in general farming and also in the operation of a hotel at Sheboygan Falls. Both the father and the mother passed away many years ago. The mother was buried in Henry cemetery and the father in Mohler cemetery. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Damrow eight children were born, seven of whom are still living, namely: Ernestine, the wife of Henry Erbstozer, of Lima township, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin; Gottfried, Jr., who is engaged in farming in Sheboygan township; Louis, a resident of Sheboygan Falls township; William C., who is the subject of this review and resides upon the old homestead ; Catharine, the wife of Adam Winter, who is engaged in farming in Sheboygan Falls township; Minnie, who married Fred Langner, a farmer of Lima township, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin; Oscar 0., who is married and is engaged as a cheese maker in Sheboygan Falls township; and Mary, who died in infancy. Mrs. Gottfried Damrow passed away in 1905.
William C. Damrow was reared in his parents' home and received his education in the public schools of Sheboygan county. He remained under the parental roof and was engaged in work on his father's farm until 1902, at which time he purchased of his father the old homestead upon which he has since continued to live and devotes himself to general farming and to the raising of high-grade dairy cattle and stock. He is a member of the Reformed Lutheran church. He has been treasurer of Sheboygan Falls township for two years, a member of the board of supervisors for four years and for seventeen years has been the treasurer of the school district in which he lives. He is politically affiliated with the democratic party. William C. Damrow is one of the well known and successful farmers of Sheboygan county and a man whose reputation for integrity has always been above reproach.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL