Delbert Craig

Delbert Craig, one of the successful dairymen of Lima township, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres of land, is a native of Sheboygan county, his birth having occurred in the township where he now resides on August 27, 1857. His father, Freeman Craig, Jr., was born in Bangor, Maine, on September 16, 1822, but in 1847 he came to this county and purchased eighty of the one hundred and sixty acres of land which had been homesteaded by his father, Freeman Craig, the year previous. He diligently applied himself to the further improvement and cultivation of his land until he passed away on the 20th of September, 1881, at the age of fifty-nine years. He was a veteran of the Civil war and one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of the pioneer period.

The mother, whose maiden name was Eliza Jane Taylor, was born in New Jersey, on March 18, 1827, and was a daughter of Charles and Maria Taylor. She came from her native state to Plymouth, Wisconsin, in 1848, with her parents who here passed the remainder of their lives. At Sheboygan Falls, in November, 1852, she was married to Freeman Craig, Jr., and to them were born seven children, our subject being the eldest son and second in order of birth. The others are as follows: Ella, who died at the age of five years; Mary, who died in infancy; Cora, whose death occurred when she was a child of five years; Charles, who was four at the time of his death; Mark, who was killed in an accident while working on the Federal building at Portland, Oregon, in 1899; and Sylvia, who married Spencer Byrum, of Sheboygan Falls. The mother, who lived to attain the venerable age of seventy-nine years, was residing at Sheboygan Falls when she passed away.

The education of Delbert Craig was begun in the district schools of Lima township, and completed in the high school of Sheboygan Falls, which he attended for a brief period. He remained with his parents until he was twenty-two and assisted with the work of the farm, but after his father's death he left home and for a year thereafter worked out by the month. He subsequently rented the farm in Lima township which was owned by Mrs. Craig's mother and this he operated for nine years, with good success. Upon the death of her mother Mrs. Craig inherited the eighty acre farm on section 18, and here for more than thirty years Mr. Craig has been engaged in the dairy business. He is a man of enterprising and progressive methods and practical ideas, and his farm is well improved and equipped, being provided with everything essential to the modern agriculturist or dairyman. His fields, which are carefully tilled and under high cultivation, are planted to such cereals as are best adapted to the feeding of stock, while his cattle are high grade Holsteins.

He has prospered in his undertakings because he is diligent and enterprising and intelligently concentrates his efforts upon the attainment of a definite purpose. He has of recent years increased his acreage by the purchase of forty acres of the old Craig homestead on section 8, which makes his property holdings aggregate one hundred and twenty acres.

In this township on the 29th of January, 1885, Mr. Craig was married to Miss Mary E. Gallagher, a daughter of William and Marie Gallagher, well known farming people of Lima township during the pioneer period, who are now deceased. Two daughters have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Craig: Lillian E., the wife of F. C. Corbett, a farmer of Spencer, Marathon county, Wisconsin; and Mary J., who was married June 19, 1912, to James B. McCabe, a prosperous young farmer of Chilton, Wisconsin.

Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Balkins

In his political views, Mr. Craig is a republican, but he has always declined to be a candidate for office, although he is not at all remiss in the duties of citizenship, but actively cooperates in forwarding the development of the community and its various public utilities.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL