Maria Louisa Burton was born in Austintown, Trumbull county, Ohio, July 10, 1834. Her father, Amzi Leach, a millwright by trade, was a native of Mendham, Morris county, New Jersey, born February 4, 1807. In early life he migrated to the Western Reserve, and there married Miss Jane Templeton. Her ancestors on her father's and mother's side were Revolutionary soldiers. Mrs. Burton enjoyed a good common-school education, one of her teachers being John Brown of Ossawatomie fame.
In 1849 the family consisting of her parents, herself and Calvin, an older brother, emigrated to the then far west, locating on a farm in the town of Plymouth, Sheboygan county, where her father built and operated a sawmill a number of years. Here for a few terms she taught in the country schools. On April 28, 1853, she was united in marriage to Isaac Newton Burton, the Burton family making their home on a farm in the same township. Mr. Burton died October 23, 1880, after a lingering illness of about two years.
Mrs. Burton with her family then removed to Unity, Clark county, making her home on a sixty-acre farm with her widowed father, who had preceded her by a few years. His death the following year left her on an undeveloped farm, in a newly settled community, with a large family practically without means.
She, however, succeeded in giving her children a good education and developed in them a Christian character, all becoming good citizens and useful members of society. After ten years at Unity, she left the farm, and her declining years were passed in the homes of her loving sons and daughters. She died in Reedsville, Wisconsin, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Louis Falge, October 2, 1904, of a stroke of apoplexy received a few weeks before. Her remains were brought for burial to Plymouth and deposited by the side of her husband in the old Mulleton church cemetery, of which church she had been a faithful member for many years.
Of Mr. and Mrs. Burton's children, Emily died in infancy; Frances, in her eleventh year, and Mrs. Louis Falge on May 27, 1912. The surviving children are: A. W. Burton, superintendent of schools of Green Bay, Wisconsin; Mrs. E. T. Bamford, residing on a farm near Plymouth; H. C. Burton, an employee of the navy department of Washington, D. C.; C. N. Burton, owner of an orange ranch at Pomona, California; Mrs. J. H. Healy residing on a farm in Revillo, South Dakota; and Rev. C. V. Burton, of the Granville Avenue Presbyterian church of Chicago.
Mrs. Burton was an estimable woman possessed of a native dignity of character, combined with a loveliness and gentleness that pervaded all her intercourse with friends and the world. She was loyal in her attachments and sincere always. Consideration for the feelings and comforts of others was a trait that received exemplification even to the last of her conscious hours. Cheerful, brave and uncomplaining in the face of hardships and trials, her life was one of noble self-sacrifice and self-denial, and many of its phases had bound up in them heroisms of the kind that do not reach the outer world, but are firmly, lovingly and quietly worked out in a record of devotion to duty. Her days have been a blessing and a joy to those near and dear to her, and she has truly shown forth the beauty and sweetness of true Christian character.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL