Herman Black was for many years successfully engaged in farming in Wilson township and was a man held in high respect by reason of his unfaltering industry and his upright character. He was born in Germany, January 7, 1856, and when nine years of age came to Wisconsin with an uncle, making his way direct to Sheboygan county where settlement was made in Wilson township. Soon after his arrival Mr. Black began working out among the farmers of the district who employed help, cutting wood and doing whatever work was given him to do. His youth was therefore a period of earnest and unremitting toil and when most boys of his age were attending school he was earning his living When twenty-one years of age he went to Lincoln county, Wisconsin, where he homesteaded a tract of land, spending the winter months there while the remainder of the year was passed in Sheboygan county. At length he sold his property and bought the farm which is now the home of his widow and sons. The place comprises sixty acres of rich and productive land and is pleasantly and conveniently located on section 20, Wilson township. In addition they also have twenty acres of timber land near the lake which they keep for the wood that it furnishes.
Mr. Black gave his entire attention to general farming, bringing his fields under a high state of cultivation and annually raising good crops by reason of his practical and progressive methods. From the time he purchased the property he made it his home until his death, which occurred June 11, 1900, when he was but forty-four years of age.
It was on the 28th of February, 1880, that Mr. Black was married in Wilson township to Miss Carrie Fisher, a daughter of Leonard and Caroline Fisher, both of whom came to the new world from Germany, and on establishing their home in Sheboygan county settled on the farm where Mrs. Black was born and still lives.
Mr. Fisher was a soldier in the Civil war, serving for three years with the Twenty-second Regiment of Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, while he had previously served in the Mexican war. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Black were born six children: Clara, now the wife of Henry Hanson, of Sheboygan Falls; Melita, the wife of Edwin Erbsteoser, of Sherman township; Harry, who is a salesman for the Mc Nasse Medicine Company in Wilson township and who lives at home; Oscar, who operates the home place; Elsie; and Verena.
In politics Mr. Black was a stanch republican. He held the office of school treasurer for many years and was also interested in the cause of education. He was also an active member of the Lutheran church and served as one of its officers for a number of years. His was indeed a well spent life, active and useful. High purpose and unfaltering energy brought him not only success but also the respect and good will of his fellow townsmen. The family is a prominent one in the community and the work of the home farm is being successfully carried on by the son, Oscar Black, a young man of enterprise, who is utilizing practical and progressive methods in the further development and improvement of the place.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL