Rudolph W. Arndt is one of the many respected sons of Sheboygan county, who since the days of his boyhood has been connected with the milling interests of the community, where for many years he and his brother, William C. F. Arndt, have been engaged in the mill and elevator business under the firm name of Arndt Brothers. Mr. Arndt was born in Sheboygan county, May 28, 1868, the son of William Arndt, Sr. The father was born in the province of Brandenburg, Germany, December 15, 1839, and was well educated in the parochial schools of the fatherland. After laying aside his text-books he learned the milling business under the supervision of his father, who was also a mill owner and manager.
In 1860 William Arndt, Sr. emigrated to the United States and, coming to Sheboygan, he found employment in the Berches mills, later working in a mill owned by a Mr. Lyman at Sheboygan Falls. Subsequently he was employed in a mill in Plymouth and six years were thus devoted to milling in Sheboygan Falls and Plymouth. In 1866 the grandparents also emigrated to the United States, taking up their abode in Sheboygan, where the grandfather bought a half-interest in the Coles mills. Later his son William purchased the other half-interest and in 1891 on the death of the grandfather his son William, took over the remaining interest of the enterprise.
The father conducted the business until 1904, when he retired and turned it over to his two sons, Rudolph and William C. F. Arndt. The father then built a beautiful home in Sheboygan, where he lived until his death, which occurred on the 4th of May, 1906. He was an active member of the Lutheran church and his remains were interred in the Lutheran cemetery. On September 3, 1865, he had wedded Miss Wilhelmine Gerke, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Gerke. The parents were both natives of Germany but emigrated at an early date to the new world, settling on a farm in Sheboygan county.
To Mr. and Mrs. Arndt were born seven children, of whom six are now living. Otto Arndt, the fifth in order of birth, was graduated from Rush Medical College of Chicago in 1896, and later served in the Spanish-American war. He engaged in the practice of medicine at Oconto Falls, Wisconsin, where his death occurred on the 15th of June, 1906. The mother is still living and makes her home at No. 922, New York avenue, Sheboygan.
Rudolph W. Arndt was educated in the common and parochial schools of Sheboygan and after laying aside his text-books he learned the milling trade from his father. For twenty-nine years he has been connected with the milling business, having for the greater part of that time been in partnership with his brother, William C. F. Arndt. The brothers have done a thriving business and in addition to their milling interests have built two elevators.
On December 13, 1895, Mr. Arndt was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Aldag, a daughter of Ernest Aldag, a native of Wisconsin and a retired blacksmith. They were the parents of one child who passed away in infancy. Mr. Arndt is a republican in his political views and has been greatly interested in educational matters, having for the past eight years been treasurer of the school board. He is a member of the Lutheran church and takes an active interest in the affairs of that denomination.
Among the business men of Sheboygan there are few who are better known or more greatly respected than Rudolph W. Arndt. He has long since gained a most excellent reputation for integrity and business efficiency and numbers among his personal friends the greater part of the citizens of Sheboygan and community. His companionable temperament, geniality of nature and optimistic spirit render him a favorite with a large number of acquaintances and he is held in high esteem by members of the entire community.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL