From an article in the History of Northern Wisconsin, published in 1881, we give the following extract:
Within the limits of the county are found scattered traces of the work of that ancient and little known people which have been designated the 'Mound Builders.' The evidences of their work in this locality, though fewer in number than in other portions of the state, have been the subject of some study.
About two miles west of the city of Sheboygan is found a group of eight mounds, one of which is in the form of a deer in a reclining posture, and is twenty feet in length, with an average height of from four to six feet. The remaining seven mounds are arranged as sides of a rectangular enclosure, are from eight to ten feet in height, and have the appearance of an abandoned fortification. That these mounds are of considerable age is shown by the fact of several large trees, apparently several centuries old, growing upon them.
A few years ago one of the mounds was examined and a number of fragments of bone taken from it. Although these mounds so closely resemble works in other localities which have been shown to establish the fact of an ancient, prehistoric race, as to lead to a reasonable inference that they belong to the same class of evidences, yet further examination is needed to positively establish their character.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL