Journalism

SHEBOYGAN DAILY PRESS, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Daily. Founded December, 1906, by A. H. Friese; continued until June, 1908; then sold to Chas. Weisse and incorporated as Press Publishing Co. same year. Continued with C. E. Broughton, editor, until March, 1912, then succeeded by Roland B. Rathbone as editor. Democratic.

THE SHEBOYGAN TRIBUNE, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. German. Founded by Alfred Marschner in Fond du Lac and removed to Sheboygan, April, 1875. Published by him until his death, September 16, 1875; continued by his son Alfred Jr. until December, 1881; then discontinued. Republican.

THE FREEMAN, SHEBOYGAN FALLS, WIS.

Weekly. Founded by Joseph A. Smith in 1852 ; continued one year, then removed to Fond du Lac and continued as Commonwealth.

THE SHEBOYGAN DAILY JOURNAL, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Daily. Founded by Thos. H. Lynch and H. W. Bolens under the firm name of Bolens & Lynch, February, 1887. In 1888 the Journal Printing Co. was incorporated with Mr. Lynch as editor. Sold in 1890 to M. T. Stokes and Ed. Heyn, who continued until January 11, 1895, when it was purchased by W. M. Root. Root sold half interest in 1904 to L. E. Reed. In 1907 E. R. Veech and Fred C. Hotchin bought Root's remaining half. In 1909 Mrs. L. E. Reed and Mrs. S. W. Reed bought out E. R. Veech's interest and the Sheboygan Journal Co. was incorporated by L. E. Reed, Mrs. L. E. Reed and Mrs. S. W. Reed as sole owners of the stock. Democratic until present owners took charge. Now independent.

THE SHEBOYGAN REPUBLIKANER, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. German. Founded by Alfred Marschner about October, 1851. Continued by him until 1857; then purchased by Carl Zillier who commenced the publication of the National Demokrat. Democratic.

DEMOCRATIC SECRETARY, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Founded June, 1853, by Jacob Quintus. Edited by C. E. Morris. Suspended June, 1854, "for lack of an editor."

ZEITUNG, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. German. Established by August Pott, June, 1860; conducted by him (Conrad Krez, editor in 1860-61) till his death, September, 1872; then suspended. Revived (June, 1880) by his son, August W. Pott. Absorbed Nieuwsbode, May, 1861; and Tribune, December, 1881. Republican.

EVERGREEN CITY TIMES, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Successor of Chronicle which was purchased by Hector N. Ross, January, 1854, and styled as above; title again changed (Jan. 1869) to Sheboygan Times; conducted by Ross (with F. M. Porter, August, 1854 - February, 1855; then with W. R. Stoddard till March, 1861; with W. R. Finch, 1870). Independent, till 1856; thereafter Republican.

SHEBOYGAN COUNTY NEWS, SHEBOYGAN FALLS, WIS.

Weekly. Founded at Sheboygan in 1876, by Flavins J. Mills; removed to Sheboygan Falls, May, 1878.. Sold September 11 by Mills to J. E. Thomas ; continued by him, assisted by W. C. Thomas as business manager until February i, 1901. Then bought by W. C. Thomas who became sole proprietor and who has continued as publisher to the present time. Successively Democratic, Greenback Democratic, and Independent. Has become a prominent exponent of the dairy interests of the northwest.

THE INDEPENDENT, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Daily. Founded by E. H. Dwight, March, 1890. Continued in connection with the Milwaukee Evening Wisconsin on a clubbing arrangement. Suspended after a few months. Independent.

THE SHEBOYGAN AMERIKA AND SHEBOYGAN ZEITUNG, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly until 1897; after that time semi-weekly. German. Founded by A. W. Pott in 1880. Conducted by him until Decembjer, 1904. Since then by Sheboygan Publishing Co., J. N. Ellenbecker, manager; edited by O. F, Huhn. Republican.

SHEBOYGAN ZEITUNG, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly until 1897; after that time semi-weekly. German. Founded by A. W. Pott in 1880. Conducted by him until Decembjer, 1904. Since then by Sheboygan Publishing Co., J. N. Ellenbecker, manager; edited by O. F, Huhn. Republican.

NORTHWESTERN RECORD, SHEBOYGAN FALLS, WIS.

Weekly. Founded March, 1867, by S. D. Littlefield, J. A. Straub and W. H. Connor. Burned out within three weeks but resumed in June. Purchased in Aug. by Chas. S. McCausland but suspended after two weeks. Devoted to temperance, agriculture, moral reform, etc.

THE PLYMOUTH SUN, PLYMOUTH, WIS.

Weekly. Established in Plymouth, Sept. 6, 1879, by L. K. Howe. Continued by him until Nov. 10, 1882, when it was removed to Sheboygan and merged in The Sheboygan Herald and styled Sun and Herald. Republican.

PLYMOUTH REPORTER, PLYMOUTH, WIS.

Weekly. Established by C. D. Wells, October, 1872. After three years sold to A. F. Warden. Continued by him until August, 1890 (in partnership with H. W. Hostman after 1879) I by Hostman and Otto GafFron until January, 1890; by GafFron alone until October, 1895. Then sold to A. J. Strassburger who continued as publisher until August, 1902, when the paper was sold to Reporter Publishing Company under which management it continued until December, 1904, when the Reporter Company was dissolved and the paper sold to Gus W. Schiereck who has since continued it. Democratic (except under Strassburger, Republican).

SHEBOYGAN COUNTY HERALD, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Successor (September, 1867) of Northwestern Record. Purchased October, 1868, by L. B. Noyes. Removed from Sheboygan Falls to Sheboygan January, 1870. Conducted by Noyes and J. L. Marsh until May, 1870. Continued by J. L. and George Marsh, and afterwards styled The Sheboygan Herald. Republican.

LAKE SHORE ADVOCATE, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Established by Carl Zillier, March, 1859. Continued by him nearly a year (with H. S. Ehrman after August). Democratic.

THE SHEBOYGAN HERALD SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Continuation of The Sheboygan County Herald by J. L. and George Marsh. The Sheboygan Herald was published by the Marshes for about eleven years, a part of which time J. L. Marsh was postmaster, the post office being under the office of publication, northwest corner Pennsylvania avenue and Eighth street. On May 6, 1881, they sold to Mrs. Auguste Marschner & Son who continued until November 10, 1882, when they sold to L. K. Howe who combined the Plymouth Sun and the Sheboygan Herald under the name of Sun and Herald. Continued under this name until October, 1883, when the name Sheboygan Herald was resumed. Practically without change except in name only, the paper was published by Howe from November, 1882, until July, 1905. A stock company was then formed called The Herald Publishing Company that has continued the paper. Republican.

SHEBOYGAN LAKE JOURNAL, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Successor (July 1851) of Sheboygan Lake Democrat; conducted by F. J. Mills (with various temporary suspensions) until July, 1865 (with W. R. Woodbury, January-May, 1852; with E. E. Sharpe, December 1856-December, 1858) ; then suspended. Styled Sheboygan Journal after 1856. Revived by Sharpe, August, 1865. Continued till about October, 1868; then suspended.

VOLKSBLATT, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. German. Founded 1895 by Volksblatt Publishing Company, and conducted by them until 1905. Labor.

THE LAKE BREEZE, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Published semi-monthly by the Sheboygan High School. Founded April 15, 1896. Continued to the present time with yearly change of editors and managers. The founders and first editors and business managers were as follows: Editor-in-chief, W. C. Howe. Associate editors, literary, Katharine Buchanan, '97; Lydia C. Hoehle, '97; Adrian Wedemeyer, '99. Personal and local: Ella Becker, '96; Lottie Buchanan, '99; Georgia Lieurance, '99; Bertha Maurer, '96; Alice Squire, '98; John Walvoord, '96; Athletics: Henry Detling, '97; Wm. Faulkes, '96. Exchanges: Marie Kohler, '96 ; Frank Detling, '96. Business manager : Geo. Sheer. Assistant business manager: Wm. Zierath.

SPIRIT OF THE TIMES, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Established May or June, 1848, by Frank L. Goodrich; office burned out soon afterwards, but paper continued until April, 1849. Succeeded in July following by Sheboygan Democrat, founded by A. D. and J. La Due; conducted by La Dues until spring of 1851 ; in June, purchased by F. J. Mills and merged inSheboygan Lake Democrat (published by Mills and H. C. Hobart) ; continued as Sheboygan Lake Journal. Issued daily edition of Democrat in June, 1850.

SHEBOYGAN TIMES, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Continuation of Evergreen City Times ; Conducted by Hector N. Ross, i854-'97; then by Times Publishing Co., till suspended at close of 1898. Files of Times, also Mercury and Evergreen City Times purchased by L. K. Howe. Republican.

PLYMOUTH REVIEW, PLYMOUTH, WIS.

Weekly. Founded November, 1895 by F. Carroll and L. W. Bowers. They sold to Otto Gaffron on August i, 1900. Mr. GafFron sold to Herald

SHEBOYGAN TIMES, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Publishing Co. and Review Publishing Co., April, 1907. Democratic till 1900; since then Republican. Publishing Co. and Review Publishing Co., April, 1907. Democratic till 1900; since then Republican.

THE PLYMOUTH POST, PLYMOUTH, WIS.

Established October 2, 1886. German. C. F. Wandersleben and H. F. T. Wandersleben, editors and publishers. Established as a weekly; now semi-weekly. Independent.

SHEBOYGAN MERCURY, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. First regular paper in Sheboygan ; founded February, 1847, by by J. M., G. W., and G. M. Gillett, and continued by them till suspension, November, 1852. Sold to Henry F. Eastman, January, 1853, and title changed to Weekly Chronicle ; continued by Eastman through January, 1854 (with H. Lyman, during first six months), then succeeded by Evergreen City Times, edited by H. N. Ross, in 1848. Issued daily during summer of 1852. Whig; under Eastman, non-partisan.

NIEUWSBODE, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. Dutch. Founded October, 1849, by Jacob Quintus as "organ of Netherlanders in North America;" claimed to be the first Dutch paper in the United States; conducted by Quintus (with E. Verburg, during 1854) till May, 1859; sold to August Pott, March, 1858; suspended May, 1861, and merged in Zeitung. At first Democratic; 1856-October, 1857, Republican; then Democratic, for a time; but Republican, May, i860, and after. Daily. Founded by R. W. Billett in September, 1887. Billett subsequently organized the Telegram Publishing Company. Continued by this company until July, 1891, when the paper became the property of Wm. H. Burk and Wm. Bomefeld. Continued by Burk and Bomefeld until about 1900. They sold to W. E. Tallmadge who published it for about one year when it was purchased by Frank A. Zufelt, February, 1901. Continued by him to the present time under name of Telegram Printing Co., Frank A. Zufelt, editor. Republican.

THE NATIONAL DEMOKRAT, SHEBOYGAN, WIS.

Weekly. German. Founded by Carl Zillier. Mr. Zillier bought out the Republikaner on which he had been employed and established the National Demokrat in September, 1857. Continued by him until 1889 when The National Demokrat Printing Co., a stock company, was formed and continued to the present time. The officers of the company are as follows: Carl Zillier, president ; Nicholas Ewerherd, vice president ; and Frank Gottsacker, secretary, treasurer and manager. Semi-weekly since 1897. Democratic.

Sixty-four years ago February 19, 1848, in Sheboygan, W. T., was published The Sheboygan Mercury, a weekly local newspaper. A copy of this modest and interesting reminder of Sheboygan's youthful days bears the earliest date of publication of any paper published in Sheboygan county, that is in existence today, so far as a careful search reveals. The oldest Sheboygan county publication on file in the library of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, at Madison, is The Sheboygan Mercury printed in February, 1849, a year later than the copy mentioned at the beginning of this article. Following is the name of paper with date, name of publisher, etc., which appears as the heading on the earliest known Sheboygan county publication extant. "The Sheboygan Mercury, Sheboygan, Wis., Saturday, February 19, 1848. Vol. 2. No. i. Whole number 53. The Sheboygan Mercury is published every Saturday by J. M. Gillett; G. W. Gillett, editor. Office on Eighth Street over C. T. Moore & Co.'s Store."

The building in which this time-stained pioneer newspaper was printed was a wooden structure at 424 N. Eighth street on the site now occupied by the building of S. D. Hanchett & Co. Then follows, after place of publication, etc., advertising and subscription rates, and advertising matter. It may be noted in the foregoing that the earliest known paper extant is No. I of Vol. 2, which indicates that the paper had been printed during the year previous, but since no copy printed during that year is at hand and since like many other sources of valuable historical information it will not likely ever be brought to the light, we will have to omit further mention of the most interesting historical relic of Sheboygan County publications.

It may be apropos to note some of the characteristic and interesting contents of this oldest existing paper printed in Sheboygan county, dated February 19, 1848. An original poem "written for the Sheboygan Mercury," entitled "Lines addressed to one who will understand them" appears first in the reading matter column. From the above we judge the editor appreciated poems and at least one read this one, and understood it. Next followed the "Governor's Message" of about four columns of closely printed type, which the editor in another column commended for its brevity. The message was under date of February 7, 1848, and signed thus : "Henry Dodge," without the word Governor following it.

The first line of this state paper was as follows: "Since the organization of this territorial government, etc," thus calling to mind the fact which explains the "W. T." in the advertising columns, that the great area now the State of Wisconsin was then under territorial government though almost on the threshold of statehood. And a sentence a little farther on: "Twelve years ago Wisconsin's fertile plains lay almost untouched by the hand of agriculture - where then stretched wild and unbroken prairies, now can be seen waving fields with every variety of grain, etc."

The youthful territory, not yet a state was looking back all of a dozen years and wondering at its progress. Bombastic, one may say; and yet justified by the facts and all true also of the beginning of Sheboygan county. Intended to be retrospective it might with a thousand times more emphasis have been made prophetic of conditions looking back from a date a half century later. A little farther on we find reference to a coming election in which the people were to vote for the acceptance or rejection of the constitution. A little later in this volume, in all business cards the address "Sheboygan, W. T." (Wisconsin Territory), was changed to the present: Sheboygan, Wisconsin, though at that time Sheboygan was the name of a village, not yet having taken on the dignity of a great city.

The message referred to the harbor improvements at "Milwaukee, Racine and Southport" and called upon the legislature to ask congress to make appropriations for harbors at Port Washington, Sheboygan and Manitowoc. In early days Sheboygan had two piers extending into the lake on either side of the mouth of the Sheboygan river, but no harbor. The mouth of the river being often closed by a sand bar, in dry times, on which one could walk, all the water filtering through under the surface as is now often the case at the mouths of Black and Pigeon rivers at the south and north of Sheboygan.

The Sheboygan Mercury was Whig in politics but paid little attention to that department; gave some attention to national affairs, and even foreign news, though not what would be called late news at the present time, found no place in its columns. In the issue dated February 19, 1848, the latest foreign news was under date of Liverpool, January 14, 1848, just one month and five days on the way. Not very much given to local news and less to personals. As an instance of local news we note that the total amount of county orders issued during the year 1847 was $3,996.64. John D. Gibbs, chairman, and Jedediah Brown, clerk. For local historical reference the advertising columns are more valuable than much of the reading matter.

Compared with the papers of the present day the old time paper was in some respects better, and in other ways not so good. The publisher of sixty-four years ago like his successors of late years announced that he had come to stay; but unlike the one of later date he had more staying qualities. Was it less competition or the absence of railroads and the hardships of travel, that made the probable life, of a publication under one management longer then than now? Also unlike the more up-to-date journalist of today we look in vain to find the statement that the circulation is the largest in the county; yet being the only one in the county the greatest circulation might be as truly claimed for that one paper then as for nearly every one at present.

The paper of those old time publications was made of cotton and cost much more than the wood pulp paper of the present. Very likely it would be nearly correct to say that the paper of that time contained no wood, while the paper of today contains only wood. The publisher of those days knew nothing of "boiler plates," of columns of stereotyped reading matter, of "patent insides," or linotype machines, and excepting the latter it may be a question whether or not these new methods are occasions for rejoicing or otherwise.

The most complete file of papers printed in Sheboygan county, in the English language is owned by L. K. Howe. The papers are all bound and cover the time, practically, every week from February, 1848, to the present date, excepting a year and a fraction about 1853 which were accidentally found in the city library recently.

NOTES

The State Historical library contains files of Sheboygan county papers in three languages more or less complete, and all valuable, yet the oldest and most valuable of all are entirely wanting.

H. N. Ross, almost the first of the members of the Sheboygan County press, with a record from 1847 to 1897, a few years ago closed the volume of life and reposes in Wildwood where the calls for "copy" will no more be heard. May his experience through life where he passed through much of sunshine but more of shadow, be reversed, beyond the great divide.

The dean of the present membership of the Sheboygan County press and the only survivor of the laborers in the art preservative of all arts, of more than a half century ago, the Hon. Carl Zillier, is with us today basking in the smiles of fortune and bearing gracefully his deserved honors.

Each passing year bears away a harvest of old residents which makes knowledge of the past county history more difficult to obtain, and at the same time more valuable. Cannot something be done to form historical societies or to awaken an interest that will hold back a little longer the pictures of Sheboygan's past ere they fade in the twilight and are lost in oblivion.

We acknowledge valuable assistance in this work from the officials of the State Historical Society at Madison, and from all the publishers of Sheboygan, Sheboygan Falls and Plymouth.

Horace Rublee for a long time editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel spent his boyhood and early manhood as a teacher in Sheboygan County and was perhaps the most distinguished editor that Wisconsin has produced. May not he be claimed in part at least as of Sheboygan County origin.

Hon. H. C. Hobart one of the very prominent men of the early times of Sheboygan county and one with a state reputation, was at one time connected with F. J. Mills in the newspaper business and so may be made the subject of mention in this article.

C. D. Wells was the first editor of Plymouth. He was successful while there but after leaving Plymouth he met misfortune. During the time he printed the Reporter, Mrs. N. N. Smith contributed a series of articles on early history of the county, the best that has ever appeared which should be reprinted and preserved.

The first permanent daily was established in Sheboygan by T. H. Lynch and H. W. Bolens in 1887. The first weekly paper was printed in February, 1847 by Gillett Bros, in the village of Sheboygan Wisconsin Territory.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL


Back to Sheboygan County History

Quote 30